This information is designed to outline the tiling installation
We are experienced in all aspects of tile preparation and installation.The
adhesives, grouts, silicones and waterproofing system we use, are
guaranteed for 10 years when applied in accordance with manufacturers
directions and the Australian Standards for tiling practice.
Tiling is normally scheduled after interior decoration and before
WHAT TO DO PRIOR TO THE TILER ARRIVING
- Ordering of Tiles:
We recommend selecting tiles at least 2 months prior to the tiler
starting the job, as shipments can sometimes cause delays in tile
stock arriving on time, or tiles can be deleted and no longer
be available. At the time of tile selection, ask the retail shop
to check availability with the importer. When ordering tiles,
allow the tiles to arrive at least a week prior to job commencement,
in order for them to arrive on time, for delivery to site, or
collection from shop by tiler.
- Clear any furniture, appliances, etc from the area to be tiled
- Vacuum or sweep area so it is dust free
- Any existing flooring ie. Carpet, vinyl and residue adhesives
are removed to the tilers satisfaction unless this
has been specifically quoted as preparation prior to tiling.
- Arrange for underfloor heating to be installed and screeded,
allowing 1-2 days for curing, before Tiler commences tile installation.
- Trims need to be considered:
Chrome Round Edge trim or L Angle Aluminium trim for the wall
tiles are available in either a matt or shiny finish. The thickness
of the tile, together with an allowance for adhesive, will determine
the size of the trim from 6mm up to 22mm. Depending on stock availability,
time may have to be allowed for ordering and delivery of trims
from supplier. The tile retailer or tiler can advise what size
trim is suitable for your selected tile.
- Grout colours and size of grout lines need to be considered:
- Floors; we use neutral grey grout unless another colour is specified,
as it is an easy colour and wears well. We strongly advise against
light colours on the floor, unless the grout lines are sealed
- Walls; these will be grouted to match the tile ie. White tile,
white grout, or in a neutral grey colour.
Grout charts can be supplied for colour selection, and some need
to be ordered in advance, if not a stock item.
WHEN TILER IS ON-SITE
- Tilers require access to water and electricity
- Cutting, especially using a grinder or wet saw can be noisy,
dusty and will usually be done outside or possibly, if wet, in
a garage area
- When the tiler is tiling, especially floors, it is preferable
that other tradespeople are not obstructing his work area
- Floor tiles should not be walked on for 24 hours after being
laid. This allows for the adhesive to set properly. Some adhesives
may take longer to set, which your tiler will advise.
- After the tiles have been grouted, you will need to stay off
the grout lines until cured.
AFTER COMPLETION OF TILING
- There may be some grout residue left on the tiles after the
tiler has left. This can be buffed off with a dry cloth. If the
tiles have a matt finish, the residue may be more stubborn, but
will come off with two capfuls of methylated spirits, a few drops
of detergent in a bucket of warm water. (Initially this could
take a couple of washes with a mop) Diluted Spirit of Salts with
water can also remove the most stubborn residue.
- Grout sealing this is recommended for wet areas ie.
Showers, kitchen floors and around kitchen benches. Sealing the
grout repels staining from food, dirt and grease and inhibits
mildew and bacteria. We recommend that clients apply sealer to
the grout once it is fully cured (2-3 days).
QUALITY OF WORKMANSHIP
- We will silicone in a matching colour to grout, between walls,
floors and internal corners. If these areas are grouted, the grout
will eventually crack and fall out.
- Flexible adhesive is used on all new concrete floors to minimise
tile breakage from any possible movement from concrete floors
OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION
- Toilet Pans If a toilet needs reinstating, this is the
owners care and you may need a book the services of a plumber
to do this.
- Rubbish Removal the offcuts of tile, cardboard boxes
and any existing flooring that has been lifted eg. Carpet &
vinyl, are the clients property and disposal is assumed
the owners responsibility. However, please advise the tiler
if you would like any tile rubbish removed.
- Refixing carpet a carpet layer will be required to refix
carpet at doorways.
- Labour for floor preparation this can be quoted as an
estimate of time allowed. Should the preparation take longer,
due to any unforeseen difficulties that may occur, then this will
be charged at the quoted rate per hour.
- Quantities calculated in quotations include a tile cutting
wastage percentage (usually 10-15%) depending on the size of the
tile and pattern layout. However, the final layout can determine
whether there is a difference between tiles installed and the
original quotation, therefore a surplus or deficit, still may
- We recommend owners keep spare tiles of the same batch, in
case of future requirements, as tiles are deleted from time to
time, or colours and design may alter significantly from batch